ksue

a blog about knitting and stuff

Thursday, January 05, 2006


Back online in the New Year....FINALLY
So getting back online in our new place has been somewhat trying. Apparently it takes a few weeks to get the cable/internet guys to come over here. After waiting, they couldn't install anything because someone is paying for cable and internet for our place (which has been vacant since September) and they can't shut it off. At least I'm finally back online.
That said, I have some FOs from my hiatus.....actually, just one now that I'm really thinking about it.
First we have....
HURRY UP SPRING ARMWARMERS












Pattern - Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers from Stitch 'n' Bitch Nation

Yarn - Malabrigo in Pagoda

Modifications - None

Random Commentary:
I feel like it took forever to finish these babies. I think I knit and frogged half of the first armwarmer four times before I finally mastered the chart. This was my first time reading a chart and I was reading it from left to right. How embarrassing, huh? I also started with metal dpns and the yarn kept slipping off. I normally stick to bamboo, but my LYS was all out so I chose the second best. Also, the Malabrigo was amazing for this project. I loved seeing the colors form and the yarn is amazingly soft.

Funny Side Note : I never noticed the branch and leaf pattern despite the pattern title and staring at them while knitting. But when my husband took one look at them, he noticed right a way. A bit of an Einstein moment for me. I like them even better now, though:)


SPENCER GLOVES













Second picture was my Jazz Hands Action Shot, which backfired and now looks more like a demented shadow puppet.

Pattern: Spencer from Rowan 38
Yarn: Rowan Wool Cotton
Modifications: The pattern calls for the cuff to be knit with Size 2/3 Needles, which I couldn't find. I just knit the entire glove with 3s.
Needles: Size 3 Bamboo Circulars
Random Commentary: These were a pretty fun project, but I had spurts of interest. The gloves are knit flat and with short rows for the fingers. I needed a lot of patience for the fingers. I had some trouble avoiding gaps between the fingers. They're not perfect, but I don't think anyone but me would really notice. I still have buttons to sew on and the cuff to knit for the second glove, but I feel like I sort of finished with the one glove done. Right?

-----------------current projects----------------------


DAD'S SHARFIK
After I made the hats for my mom and sister (and after a subtle hint from dad), I decided it's high time he get something handknit. I knew exactly what I wanted to knit him: Grumperina's Dad's Sharfik. The first time I saw it, I thought of my Dad (not because of the title, but it's just his style). Okay, and it IS called DAD's Sharfik. It's too perfect. Here's the yarn.....(cat not included)



I chose the Karabella Aurora 8 not only because it's the prescribed yarn, but because I kept having to resist rubbing it against my cheek in my LYS. It's that soft and yummy. Even the cat can't resist. A cat that would rather sleep on a stray plastic bag than a comfy couch doesn't exactly have discerning taste, though. And I digress... I couldn't stop myself from casting on for this baby the second I got the yarn home. That's about as far as I got though...


I'm loving it. The pattern is just .... so....smart! It's easy to memorize and the simplicity of the broken ribs is astounding. It just makes sense the way it's written. I love that.
STASH FLASH
And last, but certainly not least a recent addition to the stash...


What is to be Electra (Rowan 38). Are you blind? Bright, huh? I'd like to blame it on my camera's flash and my inability to photograph in natural daylight (In New England, there's about 5 hours of daylight this time of year, and for all those I'm strapped to a desk:( ) , but i have to be honest. It's that bright. I was surprised, but I think the colors will be a nice punch all mixed together.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger lobstah said…

    Mmm...Pagoda...

    Wha? What's going on? Oops, I think I just went into a Malabrigo coma.

    So, is someone else still paying your cable bill, or was the cable company just gonna collect twice? (Would not be surprised at all).

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I recently cast on for electra using exactly the same colors. It looks pretty good knit up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home